Vegetable Charcuterie

Vegetable Charcuterie

I love the pursuit of techniques that push culinary boundaries and propel vegetarian cuisine into the future. Enter Rich Shih and Jeremy Umansky’s Koji Alchemy. In their book, the authors detail experiments that leverage koji (aspergillus oryzae) to make meat and vegetable charcuterie. The concept at work here is that the protein itself (vegetables, in our case) becomes the substrate on which the koji grows.  Enzymes break down proteins into amino acids, creating new and amplified flavors. A great deal of complexity is achieved in a week’s time, rather than 3 months.

The process from start to finish is pretty simple: steam, smoke, cure, inoculate, dehydrate. 


For this recipe I chose beets, carrots and butternut squash as my proteins. I borrowed a charcuterie spice blend from Jeremy Fox for an extra kick of flavor. The flavors of the three vegetables are rich and unique to themselves: The carrot charcuterie tastes very, very much like Brie! The beet charcuterie is quite savory, reminiscent of salami. The butternut squash is sweeter than its counterparts, with a distinct perfume and flavor that is difficult to describe.

In addition to these vegetables, appearances by other koji fermentation projects made appearances on my charcuterie board: sour and savory amazake fermented reddish and fennel; plus my new favorite—pine nut miso. Made just a few weeks ago, I blended toasted pine nuts, salt and koji to make an amino paste. Finally, the paste is developing a complexity I could not have predicted: sweet banana and nutmeg notes, plus more. I will be dedicating a recipe to feature the pine nut miso very shortly.

Homemade pepper jam and homemade ricotta helped seal the deal, along with some manchego, grapes, and pistachios. Served with bread and crackers, it’s the best damn charcuterie board I’ve ever had.




For the vegetable charcuterie:

  • Carrots
  • Beets
  • Small Butternut squash
  • Salt for curing, equal to 1.75% of total weight
  • Koji spores dispersed in flour (2 teaspoons koji to 1/4 cup rice flour)

For Jeremy Fox’s “Fox Spice:”
  • 2 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorn
  •  2 tablespoon ground mace
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
  • 1 teaspoon whole cloves

To cook the vegetables: Steam your vegetables for approximately 45 minutes until tender. Let cool, then remove the peels using a peeler or a paring knife.  Smoke your steamed vegetables for 30 to 45 minutes. For this I bought a couple single-use hickory wood planks made for the grill. I first soaked the planks in water for an hour before using, then placed the steamed vegetables on the planks in my grill preheated to 375 degrees. Remove the veggies and let cool.

To cure the vegetables: Salt the vegetables to 1.75% of their total weight. Add the fox spice seasoning to taste. For reference, I used about a teaspoon of fox spice per vegetable. Once finished rubbing the salt and spices onto all the surfaces of the vegetables, wrap them individually and tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 days.

To inoculate the vegetables: Remove the veggies from their plastic wrap and pat them dry. Over a plate or a sheet pan, drizzle the koji flour blend through a fine sieve to powder the entire surface of the vegetables. Place the koji coated vegetables in an incubator set to 90% relative humidity and incubate for 36 hours.

To dehydrate the vegetables: The veggies are ready for dehydration once fully covered in a thin veil of koji. Log the weight of the vegetables. Dehydrate until 50-60% of their weight is lost.

To serve as charcuterie, slice thinly on a bias. Serve with pickles and other ferments, nuts, cheeses, jams and crackers. 




Comments

  1. Hi! What does your incubation setup look like please? How do you maintain high humidity and it get the vegs all wet during the incubation? To dehydrte:mve to the fridge? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Choubix. The set up I used was I think a bit more complicated than necessary, so I'm going to give you the method I will use for the next time I make vegetable charcuterie. And that is: place the koji-covered vegetables on a wire rack in a plastic tub (in professional kitchens we call them "fish tubs"). Cover the tub with plastic wrap and poke several finger sized holes throughout. This will let humidity escape. Place the tub in the oven with the oven light turned on. Don't turn the oven on--the light from the heat should suffice. After 48 hours or so you should have you koji vegetables! Cheers, Aaron

      Delete
    2. To answer your question regarding dehydration, I simply left the vegetables in my convection oven with the fan running for maybe 4 or 5 days. Take note of the weight in grams at the beginning and as they continue to dehydrate; they need to lose 60% of their starting weight.

      Delete
  2. Can you make chips of the beets and carrots, and ferment lit chips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Is that possible to use less salt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quantity of salt is important for the curing process, and therefore I wouldn't recommend it.

      Delete
    2. Sorry if I sound insistent. It's just that in a video about other vegan koji charcutarie it was said that it was just apply the principle of koji rice intoi vegetables, and rice do not require salt. For other side one person told me that salt was necessary to preserve and avoid bacteries and unwanted forms of mold to compete with the koji, and also necessary for the fermentation itself. This person said that without salt the koji just grow but do not ferment the food.

      Delete
    3. So far as I know the salt curing reduces the risk of unwanted bacteria growth in the vegetables. Perhaps you can try an experiment; one batch with salt and one batch without. That way you'll be able to see for yourself. Good luck!

      Delete
    4. Thank you for the nice advices. I'm still trying to get the koji, since I live on Brazil and it's quite hard to find. In the meantime I'm getting informations. For example for miso, someone told me that was possibe to reduce the final sodium content by replacing the salt (or partialy replace) for MSG. I wonder if that could also work for veggie charcutarie. Or perhaps a mix of low sodium salt (50/50 of sodium and potassium chloride) and MSG.

      Delete
    5. I found Koji in Brazil, from Asian store.

      Delete
  4. How long did the drying process take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A day or two; but that's because I dehydrated them using a convection oven. It wasn't the most practical outlet, but it worked. Using a proper dehydrator should cut down on that time significantly. Make sure you weigh your veggies before you put them in. Check on them every so often for the first few hours and continue to log the weight. They're done when 50-60% of their weight is lost. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Hi Aaron, I made the carrots and stems of broccoli. After about 30 hours they where a bit greenish. but I did not see real spores. Can I still use it? Do you know if I can airdry it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bas, when koji reaches maturation, usually after 48 hours, the koji will turn from white to greenish yellow. Without a picture, I cannot be sure whether this is the case for your vegetables. Feel free to email me a picture at abasskin1@gmail.com and I will give you my best assessment. Cheers, Aaron

      Delete
  6. Hi Aaron.
    It's been 24h since inoculation and the vegetables are slimy all around. Is it a step in the right or wrong direction?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, can you tell me a little about storing these beauties? Jar, fridge, rm temp, how long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, I stored them in a Tupperware and enjoyed them for as long as six months. They might keep even better if vacuum sealed. Cheers.

      Delete
  8. How long do they keep after dehydrating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, I stored them in a Tupperware and enjoyed them for as long as six months. They might keep even better if vacuum sealed. Cheers.

      Delete

Post a Comment